Our Lower School provides a rich and varied academic education, leading to above average levels of attainment expected for their age group.
Why choose our Lower School?
- Small class sizes that ensures that every teacher knows every pupil and believes in them
- Individualised learning programmes to ensure every child makes exceptional progress
- Excellent 11 Plus examination preparation from Year 3 resulting in consistently high performance at the 11+ Examination. This year 8 pupils have been offered places at local Grammar schools.
- Specialist Teaching in PE, ICT, Music and Modern Foreign Languages which develop your child’s confidence and enriches their school experience
- Gifted and talented programme to help high achievers push their boundaries
- Daily individual reading for all Prep Children
- Outstanding pastoral care from approachable, caring staff
- A comprehensive enrichment programme and a fantastic selection of clubs and activities to help build confidence
- An extensive trips and visits programme to support the school curriculum
- A structured transition programme to prepare your child for Senior School
- Strong family style community that promotes traditional British values whist preparing pupils for the future.
- PSHE programmes to inspire leadership and social responsibility.
- Regular parent activities and on line virtual learning environments to involve you in your child’s education
- Before and After School Care from 7.15 am to 6.00 pm
Message from the Head of Lower School
I would like to welcome you to the Lower School at Colchester High School. The Lower School has excellent teaching, a wide curriculum and a strong sense of community. It is extremely rewarding to see how children flourish here. It is notable that when children join the school, they settle in swiftly and soon become involved in the whole school community in a variety of ways. It is fantastic to see how the children develop confidence, independence and are engaged in their learning. There are opportunities for the children to work within their peer group but also to work with different age groups within the Lower School, which makes the transitions between key stages so much smoother. The best way to see what the school is like is to come in for a tour and see the school in action and meet the children, who are best placed to tell you about their experience of school.
Head of Lower School
Quote from ISI 2016 Inspection
“Teaching throughout the school supports the school’s aims to help pupils to become confident, ambitious and independent learners.”