What to look for at a school open day
Regardless of if you are looking at a nursery, Primary school or a Private high school – the key driver to the activity is to find a school where your child will feel safe, happy and is able to thrive. We have tried to make the process a little easier for you by collating some top tips for making a school open day as useful as possible.
Before you get there
Most schools should have a functioning and informative website which provides factual information that you will want to know when considering schools. If you cannot obtain this information from the school’s website, be sure to keep a note and add these to your questions to ask.
- Academic Results – Find out what the results are that the students are achieving at the school, this will give you a good indicator of the level of teaching.
- Inspection Results – Take the time to find out what the inspection authorities say about the school. The reports cover the level of teaching, the children’s progress and happiness as well as a general overview of the school.
- Application Process – The application process will differ depending on the type and level of school you are applying for a place at. Be clear on the deadlines and requirements and ensure that you and your child are comfortable with any requirements.
On the day
Once you have done your research and are happy with the basic information regarding the school, the next step is to attend some open days. Below are some key points for you to consider asking or make a point of seeing whilst you are there in person.
- Facilities – The school may have listed their facilities on their website, however, if you can, ask to see the different listed facilities such as the sports facilities, laboratories etc, just to make sure that they are well maintained and to the standard they claim.
- Spend time talking to the teachers – Get to speak with some of the teachers about the school, the subjects they teach and the children. This will help paint the picture of the school environment and how the teachers work with the children.
- Speak to some of the pupils – Normally at an open day the pupils of the school are participating in activities so this is a great chance to speak to the pupils about their school experience, ask them questions that you think that your son or daughter would want to know most about.
- Speak to the headteacher if possible – The head of the school is likely to be a very busy person, however, if they are available this is a great person to answer any questions or concerns you might have. It is also good to get a feel for the ethos and aims of the school from its leader.
At Colchester High, we hold regular open days to prospective parents and encourage them to pay us a visit to get a real experience of what our school is like. We are very proud of the environment we have created where boys and girls, have the confidence, vitality and strength of character to pursue their own particular blend of talents and make the very most of themselves.
If you would like to see what opportunities we have for children from Nursery all the way up to Senior School you would love for you to join us at a school open day or you can request a prospectus to learn a little more about our school.